April 3, 2020
By visiting the Site, using or downloading the App, or using any of our Services, you agree that your personal information will be handled as described in this Policy. Your use of our Site or Services, and any dispute over privacy, is subject to this Policy.
Information We Collect About You
The only information we collect about you is information which you directly supply to our Site and Services. We purposefully limit the amount of personal information that we collect about you because we consider retention of any sort of personal information to be a business liability. For example, rather than using unique usernames that identify you, our App provides the Services by creating non-attributable identities in order to minimize the amount of your personal information that we collect. Our App locally stores (1) a “receipt” from the App Store to validate that you are a paying user, (2) a randomly-generated device identity for the purposes of routing alerts to your device and other device-specific actions, (3) a randomly-generated device group master identity for the purposes of enabling future capabilities, which will allow users to add multiple devices to their subscription, (4) a listing of alerts to be sent to and displayed on your device in the “Alerts” tab of the Guardian Firewall app when specific network traffic has been detected, blocked, or otherwise flagged by our system for your attention and review, and (5) a listing of custom parameters entered by the user, such as IP addresses and DNS hostnames, used for block-listing or exception-listing purposes. When we discuss below the information we collect, how we use it, and how we share it, we are only talking about the minimal amount of personal information that we collect.
Information We Collect Directly From You. We may collect optional information from you, such as an e-mail address if you sign up for a Pro or Visionary account; however, you are not otherwise required to provide us with this information to use the Site or App.
Information We Collect From Third Parties. In addition, if you made a payment for our Services using Apple Pay or Stripe, we may have access to the information that you provided directly to Stripe for the payment, such as your e-mail address or the last four digits of your credit or debit card. For more information, please see “Third Party Sites” below.
Information We Collect Automatically. We do not collect information about you which you did not directly and intentionally supply to us.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information, including your supplied e-mail address, for the following purposes:
- To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, and for other customer service purposes.
- For marketing and promotional purposes, if you explicitly opt-in to announcements/updates on our web page. For example, we may use your e-mail address to send you information and updates about our products.
How We Share Your Information
We may share your information, including e-mail address, as follows:
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer limited information you have supplied to us to the other company, such as the “digital receipts” used for in-app purchases, for the sole purpose of continuing to allow you to use the Services uninterrupted; however we will only transfer your supplied e-mail address (if applicable) with your explicit permission. Please note that if you do not grant us permission to transfer your supplied e-mail address to the other company, Services such as the App will remain fully functional, but it may impact our or their ability to provide e-mail communications and notifications to you.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information you supply to us if we are required to in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a subpoena.
We do not share your information with third parties for advertising purposes.
- Logging. We do not store log files containing user information. Standard Nginx logging (Error Log and Access Log) capabilities are turned off.
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests, because we do not make use of tracking cookies or other tracking mechanisms.
Our Site and Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. For example, our Site and Services may direct you to use third-party payment services to make payments. If you wish to make a payment using a payment service, you will be directed to a webpage that is hosted by the payment service and not by us. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites.
Security of My Personal Information
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite these measures, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security.
What Choices Do I Have Regarding Use of My Personal Information?
If you have supplied us with an e-mail address to learn more about our products, we may send informational emails to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the e-mail. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests.
Children Under 13
Our Services are not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our Services or would like to make a complaint, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy on our Site, at https://guardianapp.com/privacy.html and a summary post describing changes will be available at https://guardianapp.com/blog/. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on our Site.